[Tutor] OT: How to automate user interactions with GUI elements of closed-source programs?

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Thu Dec 24 11:51:25 EST 2015

On 12/24/2015 08:54 AM, boB Stepp wrote:
> My Google-fu is weak on this question.  I keep getting lots of hits on
> web scraping, but my interest is actually as follows:
>
> I find myself doing the same boring, repetitive tasks by hand, which
> amounts to copying certain information from one program and putting it
> into other programs.  None of these programs, to my knowledge, have a
> publicly accessible API.  Are there ways to programmatically
> accurately click the right buttons (or check boxes, radio buttons,
> etc.), copy desired fields and then switch to another program and
> paste the desired information into the desired fields, accurately
> clicking all things that need to be clicked, etc.?  This is mostly a
> Windows-based scenario, but if the techniques (if they exist) can be
> abstracted to any OS I can find plenty of uses elsewhere as well!
>
> TIA!
> Merry Christmas!!!

I don't know if there is a Python solution, as I am just starting to
read up on using Python on the web. Either iMarcos or GreaseMonkey could
probably do what you what you want.

Both are browser extensions.  iMacros is available for both Firefox and
Chrome, GreaseMonkey is available for Firefox, but I'm not sure about
Chrome. Both also have user forums.

Regards,  Jim