[Tutor] GUI

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 2 18:13:45 CET 2015

On 01/02/15 20:16, D.Edmons wrote:

> I've compiled both python2 and python3 and am starting to learn them
> well enough to do a GUI application that requires UTF-8.

OK, We can help with the basics, thats what this group is for.
Learning Python and its standard library.

> Anyway, I suspect that I'll have to use python3 to take advantage of the
> UTF-8 (is there a __FUTURE__ option for python2?).

Python2 can work with unicode but its more effort than in Python 3 so I
suspect you should go straight to Python 3.

> minor GUI stuff, but what I need is an application that will do Hebrew
> (left <-- right) that actually attempts to "get it right".  Also, I'm
> creating a Hebrew Dictionary database and my GUI will have to work with
> it (ie. it is the whole purpose of this exercise).

Don't expect a whole heap of support from the GUIs. A lot of the work
will have to come from you.
I suspect the standard GUI framework Tkinter is not going to be your
best bet. You might find that PyQt or PyGTK will offer better multi
lingual support  (although thats just a guess on my part!).

> I started out with Perl, but haven't made much progress.  Python kept
> coming up in my searches, so I'm attempting to switch over.

Python or Perl do much the same thing. Python is easier to read
(although being a Python group I'm biased...)

> the major features I hope to incorporate into the application:
>      א) Hebrew keyboard application that will easily switch back and
> forth between English and Hebrew character sets.  Key assignments will
> be user defined or easily reprogrammed so that both standard and custom
> configurations can be made: (ie similar to
> http://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/hebrew.htm )

I've no idea how you support that in a GUI. It may well be beyond the
scope of this list too. I suspect that once you identify your target GUI
framework that their support forums will be better suited to answer.

>      ב) Dual screen editor for simplified search and replace (hebrew
> with nikkud, with option to ignore the nikkud/vowels to find
> shoreshim/roots) feature.  One window will be the compiled dictionary.
> The second window will be any Hebrew text (Torah, Siddur, etc...).  The
> application will--hopefully--automatically search the "dictionary" based
> upon the current cursor and add the English definition of the Hebrew
> word with a click or two.  (I'm learning Hebrew, as I go, studying every
> week, if not every day.)

This sounds very advanced for a first project (but then, so is a device
driver!) Certainly probably beyond this lists scope.

>      ג) Obviously, a menu bar with tools and other standard GUI bits and
> pieces.

Yep, that kind of stuff we might help with. But again the GUI support
forum is likely to be better still.

> Actual Request:
>
> I'm running an older Debian Linux, that doesn't upgrade very well.  Is
> there anybody willing to help me at least get started or point me in the
> right direction?

We don't really provide 1-1 mentoring. You ask questions on the list and
the list members answer. You might be very lucky and find someone who is
familiar with your problem domain, but its a long shot.

> Knowledge of Hebrew would be a *huge* plus, but isn't required in any
> ...  Thus, leafpad would be a reasonable model for the editor.

Again thats a pretty specialized set of skills on top of Python. You
might try the main Python mailing list/nesgroup. You have a bigger
audience there to find someone suitable to help you.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site