[Tutor] Need help with find error

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 4 13:23:45 CET 2015

On 04/02/15 09:01, Андрей Пугачев wrote:

> Code doing all right, but in the end I have error
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "trivia_challenge.py", line 81, in <module>
>      main()
>    File "trivia_challenge.py", line 74, in main
>      category, question, answers, correct, explanation, points =
> next_block(trivia_file)
>    File "trivia_challenge.py", line 37, in next_block
>      points = int(next_line(the_file))
> ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
>
> I see it don't like empty line, but line is not emty...

OK, But what is it? Does it contain any spaces or letters or punctuation
characters?

Try separating out the line and then adding a try/except like so:

try:
    line = next_line(the_file)
    points = int(line)
except ValueError:
    print "Line causing error is: \n;", repr(line)
    raise

That way you will see exactly what causes the exception.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site