[Tutor] OT: Preferred email client for sending plain text programming code snippets

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 18 13:48:08 CET 2015

On 18/02/15 12:09, Sydney Shall wrote:

> Could you give  us or point us towards some simple instructions as how
> one uses gmane.comp.python.tutor with Thunderbird. I had a go and I have
> found it daunting.

Create a new news account (File-New-OtherAccount)
Enter your details, click next
Enter the gmane news server address: news.gmane.org
Give it a friendly name
Finish

Thats it.

Now on that account page

Manage newsgroup subscriptions(wait for it to populate)
Use the show items box to filter - eg type comp.python
Select the ones you want.
Click subscribe

Done

Now on each newsgroup you can click on it and it will
download the latest messages(might take a while first
time round. You might want to limit the number to
say 50-100)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site