[Tutor] mySQL and Python

James Chapman james at uplinkzero.com
Wed Feb 18 16:24:41 CET 2015

One of my pet hates about this list... "This is a tutor list, your question
is out of scope". Sure there might be better places to seek answers, and
sure maybe the first responder doesn't know the answer, but that's not a
reason to respond with that phrase. This list is a called python tutor, not
python beginner, even if the large majority of the questions are beginner
questions. The fact that people can ask any python related question is one
of the things I like about it and wish that other languages had similar
lists.

Back to answer the original question...

I recommend using the official MySQL connector because it's supported by
MySQL and it's continuously developed, which means it won't stop working
when you change Python versions, or MySQL versions, and it's documented.
I've tried some other MySQL libs in the past that worked OK but were a
nightmare when it came to supporting them due to changes in the environment.

Download the connector from
https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/python/

The latest version should work just fine on Python 3.4

Documentation on how to use it is also available on the MySQL website:
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/connector-python/en/connector-python-examples.html

Hope this helps.