[Tutor] Topic focus of ‘python-tutor’ (was: mySQL and Python)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Feb 18 21:23:03 CET 2015

James Chapman <james at uplinkzero.com> writes:

> One of my pet hates about this list... "This is a tutor list, your
> question is out of scope". Sure there might be better places to seek
> answers, and sure maybe the first responder doesn't know the answer,
> but that's not a reason to respond with that phrase.

You're right to address problematic tone, such as brusqueness. The
poster has apologised, so that's acknowledged.

That said, the point made is valid: This is not a general-purpose Python
discussion forum, so there are many potential threads that are off-topic
and should happen elsewhere.

> This list is a called python tutor, not python beginner, even if the
> large majority of the questions are beginner questions.

The focus of this forum *is* tutoring beginners. The name can't be the
sole guide to what's on or off topic, so please don't argue as though it
is.

> The fact that people can ask any python related question is one of the
> things I like about it and wish that other languages had similar
> lists.

Then you have the wrong forum in mind. While we're not going to boot
people out merely for asking “any Python related question”, there are
many Python-related topics that are better not discussed here and it's
important that we regulars point that out.

If you want a more general Python discussion forum, we have one of those
too: it's called ‘python-list’, also available via Usenet at
‘comp.lang.python’. So it is evident that your needs are already met :-)

--
 \        “[R]ightful liberty is unobstructed action, according to our |
  `\        will, within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of |