[Tutor] mySQL and Python

Danny Yoo dyoo at hashcollision.org
Wed Feb 18 22:14:30 CET 2015

>> I recommend using the official MySQL connector because it's supported by
>> MySQL and it's continuously developed, which means it won't stop working
>> when you change Python versions, or MySQL versions, and it's documented.
>> I've tried some other MySQL libs in the past that worked OK but were a
>> nightmare when it came to supporting them due to changes in the environment.
>
> Ah, I missed this one.  Thanks.

Hi Beatrice,

Following up on James's recommendation, it does look like MySQL
Connector should support the latest versions of Python, according to:

    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/connector-python/en/connector-python-versions.html

where it says "Python 3.3 and later" are supported.  So try using the
2.0 version of the Connector.

Also, there appears to be a forum specific to MySQL Connector
questions hosted by the MySQL folks at:

    http://forums.mysql.com/list.php?50

and they should be able to give specific help on that software too.

That being said, you're welcome to ask questions here!

My apologies again for sounding exclusive in my last email.  I was
trying to express the idea that Tutor might not be the best place to
ask MySQL driver installation questions.  I was trying to direct you
to folks that should be better equipped to answer your questions based
on their direct experience.  But thankfully, it does sound like we do
have a few MySQL-familiar folks on the list after all, so my concerns
aren't as valid as I had thought.