[Tutor] PyDeadObjectError: MainFrame deleted

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Jan 15 02:24:50 CET 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 01:48:10PM -0800, Paul LaBerge wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was using a python script created GUI. The GUI locked up and
> produced the following message when I closed it. Can someone tell me
> if the “MainFrame” object is in the GUI or part of Python ? It looks
> like I need to reinstall something, but I’m not sure what that is from
> this message.

Your wxPython GUI crashed:

> PyDeadObjectError: The C++ part of the MainFrame object has been
> deleted, attribute access no longer allowed.

That's a wxPython error, not the Python interpreter. The way you can
tell is by looking at the pathname of the file that raised the
exception:

>  File "/usr/local/lib/wxPython-3.0.1.1/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-osx_cocoa/wx/_core.py",
> line 16709, in __getattr__
>
>    raise PyDeadObjectError(self.attrStr % self._name)
>
> PyDeadObjectError: The C++ part of the MainFrame object has been
> deleted, attribute access no longer allowed.

(Also, because I happen to know that the wxPython GUI is written in C++
so any C++ errors are from it, not the Python interpreter.)

I don't know whether this indicates corruption in the library which
will be fixed by reinstalling, a bug in the library, or just a bug in
your own code.

--
Steven