[Tutor] Python - Rules engine

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Jan 30 13:40:48 CET 2015

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 06:50:26AM +0000, guruprasad.br at thomsonreuters.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Any suggestions for a Python module implementing Rules Engine
> functionality? I came across ‘PyKE’, but not sure if it is being
> maintained actively. Any details on this will be very helpful.

I'm not sure what "Rules Engine" means. Care to explain? It is such a
generic term it could be referring to "business rules", A.I.,
Prolog-like logic programming, or more.

Have you googled?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=python+%22rules+engine%22

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=python%20%22rules%20engine%22

If you mean something like Prolog, then Pyke appears to be a very
popular choice, but it doesn't look like there is a huge amount of
development activity going on. Perhaps that means it is a stable product
and doesn't need much on-going development? For business rules,
Intellect seems to be a popular choice.

By the way, emailing "webmaster at python.org" is completely inappropriate
for this. The webmaster is responsible for maintenance of the Python.org
website, not answering random questions about third-party libraries.

--
Steven