[Tutor] Design question: Web-based vs. desktop-based vs. desktop-based with data backed up to web server with a tablet thrown in for all cases?

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 01:15:27 CEST 2015

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 5:28 PM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
> In a message of Sun, 19 Jul 2015 18:11:36 -0400, Dave P writes:

>>> Python 2.7 only on for MacOSX.  Python 3 is coming very soon.
>>>
>>> Laura
>>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I can't help thinking we're trying to reinvent the wheel here. I would be
>>quite surprised if Trello couldn't help in this situation. (I do not work
>>for Trello.com)
>>
>>Long story short, it's kanban in the cloud and can be adapted for just
>>about anything.  It's free, too!  My son's multi-age, non-traditional
>>school -kids, teachers, and parents alike- use it to track student projects
>>& goals, plan school events, fundraising, wish lists, supplies lists, and
>>more.  It's easy to use, share, and collaborate.  It works in the browser
>>or you can use their mobile apps.  You can set up checklists, attach images
>>and files, work with due dates, comment and activity streams, etc.  Plus,
>>using their RESTful API, you could whip up some slick automation and
>>reporting (using Python, of course!)
>>
>>I'll be glad to help you and your wife off-list if you'd like some
>>pointers.
>>
>>Good luck!
>>
>>Dave
>
> boB: this was precisely the sort of solution 'already existing in the
> cloud' I was hoping you could find.  I just didn't know about this one.
> Very cool.  Thank you Dave.

I will forward this to Vonda and see what she thinks.  But from what
she has described thus far, I don't think it will give her the type of
interface she is hoping to get, or make it easy to organize her
information in the way she seems to want.  However, it looks like it
might do some stuff that I have wanted done on my phone that I used to
do on a Palm once upon a time.  I will have to glance at the API docs
and see what else we might do with it.

Thanks!

--
boB