[Tutor] Design question: Web-based vs. desktop-based vs. desktop-based with data backed up to web server with a tablet thrown in for all cases?

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 03:23:07 CEST 2015

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 1:27 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 12:49:50AM -0500, boB Stepp wrote:
>
>> In this thread, I kept it very general on purpose.  I was probing this
>> community for their thoughts on two things:  1)  Should I make the
>> software web-based or desktop-based?  2) What would be the best way of
>> handling the data involved, particularly the data that impinges on
>> student privacy concerns.
>
> Not to be a wet blanket, but this is way off-topic for this mailing
> list. However, you're a regular in good standing, and we don't have a
> strict rule about staying on-topic (such rules are tiresome and annoying
> if they allow for no exceptions), so let's go with it.

Thanks for the pass!  But I actually thought this was on-topic.  I am
preparing to write a Python application.  I have some questions about
how to design it.  Why would this be off-topic?  I get it that program
design applies to all programming languages, but since this list is
targeted to people learning programming, I would think we would all
need help in these areas, too.  Otherwise our Python programs would
not be very well written, however correct the Python syntax might be.

For the rest of your answer, I think that this is exactly how I should
approach this first program.  And after having a discussion with Vonda
today, it is actually her intent--play with this project until it is
in a form that works in her workflow, and then expand upon it.  Laura
suggested kivy, too, and I think it will best do what is needed for
the Slate tablet.  Alan's and your suggestion to use SQLite seems a
good one as well for the prototype.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.  It has really
clarified my thinking on the best way to get productive as quickly as
possible.  Now to find the energy after my regular work and the time
at home which is always being taken up by my two kids and Vonda!

Would it be off-putting later to ask specific questions about
implementing features of kivy on this list?  I imagine that they would
tend to be basic questions that would probably apply to any GUI
development.  But I'm sure there is a kivy list somewhere once I look
for it if I need to go there.

I took Laura's suggestion and asked my original questions that started
this thread on the tkinter list she suggested, but I have yet to
receive an response.  One thing I cherish about this list is it is
both active and enthusiastic in providing help and direction, even if
that help is to suggest other avenues for help.  Much better than
silence!

Thanks!
boB