[Tutor] tkinter window not showing max, min and close buttons

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 21 13:52:44 CEST 2015

On 21/07/15 08:15, Chris Roy-Smith wrote:
> On 21/07/15 17:02, Alan Gauld wrote:
>> On 21/07/15 06:05, Chris Roy-Smith wrote:
>>> I am working my way through Alan Gauld's tutorial and have just started
>>> the section on GUI. The windows that are created look odd with no title
>>> bar or maximise, minimise or close window button.
>>

>> The simplest program that should show the icons is:
>>
>>  >>> import Tkinter
>>  >>> top = Tkinter.Tk()
>>  >>> top.mainloop()
>>
>> What do you  see when you type just those lines at
>> the >>> prompt?
>>
> All I get is a white square, with no way to close without using kill
>
> I have done a bit of tinkering and have found that it is only my user
> account that behaves this way.

OK, No idea why that would be happening but it may be a Unity
setting - I use Mint/Cinnamon  because I hated Unity...

Can you try logging out and back in using a different desktop - say XFCE
and see if that
changes anything. That will hopefully narrow it down to a Unity v User
settings issue.

In either case it will probably be an issue for another forum since its
unlikely to be
a Python issue, but please keep me in the loop since it might affect
other tutorial
users.

--
Alan G