[Tutor] Identifying V3 examples

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 23 16:18:20 CEST 2015

On 23/07/15 14:59, Jon Paris wrote:

> I am not familiar with the term “top post”

See this wikipedia article which describes in detail all the
alternatives along with their relative merits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

including this commonly seen example:

Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
 > Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
 >> Top-posting.
 >>> What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

Which with bottom posting becomes the more readable:

 >>> What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
 >> Top-posting.
 > Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Most technical mailing lists and newsgroups prefer interleaved
posting where replies to individual points in a message are
placed just under the relevant part of the message. Just as
importantly all irrelevant parts of the message should be deleted.

The common business practice of top posting was encouraged by
Microsoft Outlook and results in many megabytes of wasted
disk-space due to long threads of mail being posted multiple
times in every reply to the thread. It used to drive me mad
when I was a corporate wage slave... :-)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site