[Tutor] Identifying V3 examples

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Jul 23 16:41:33 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 09:59:22AM -0400, Jon Paris wrote:

> I am not familiar with the term “top post” - I’m guessing you mean
> that my reply came before your original message.

Yes, it means "post at the top". Hence, "top post".

A: Because it messes up the order in which you read.
Q: Why is that?
A: Top posting.
Q: What is the most annoying email practice?

In these sorts of technical forums, email is a discussion between
multiple parties, not just two, often in slow motion (sometimes replies
may not come in for a week, or a month). Often, a single email will
reply to anything up to a dozen or twenty individual points. Top posting
works reasonably well for short replies answering one, maybe two brief
points where the context is obvious. In technical discussions like we
have here, that is rarely the case.

People may be reading these emails on the archives years from now, in
any order. Establishing context before answering the question makes
sense. Without context, our answers may not make sense. Hence we
quote the part we are replying to before we answer it:

Q: What is the most annoying email practice?