[Tutor] Concatenating columns via python

Hannah G. McDonald HMcDonald at defenders.org
Tue Jul 28 20:52:59 CEST 2015

I extracted a table from a PDF so the data is quite messy and the data that should be in 1 row is in 3 colums, like so:
   year       color                 location
1 1997       blue,                   MD
2                green,
3                and yellow

SO far my code is below, but I know I am missing data I am just not sure what to put in it:

# Simply read and split an example Table 4
import sys

# Assigning count number and getting rid of right space
def main():
count = 0
pieces = []
for line in open(infile, 'U'):
if count < 130:
data = line.replace('"', '').rstrip().split("\t")
data = clean_data(data)
if data[1] == "year" and data[1] != "":
write_pieces(pieces)
pieces = data
str.join(pieces)
else:
for i in range(len(data)):
pieces[i] = pieces[i] + data[i]
str.join(pieces)

# Executing command to remove right space
def clean_data(s):
return [x.rstrip() for x in s]

def write_pieces(pieces):
print