[Tutor] Abs

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 29 10:51:26 CEST 2015

On 29/07/15 04:28, Job Hernandez wrote:
> How is it going tutors?

You only sent it to me. Please use Reply All to include the list.

> The following problem seems impossible to me:
>
> "*Write a program that asks the user to enter an integer and prints
> two integers, /root /and /pwr/, such that 0 < pwr < 6 and root^pwr
> (root**pwr) is equal to the integer entered by the user. If no such
> pair of integers exists, it should print a message to that effect*."
>
> I would like to solve this problem myself so please don't give me the
> solution.
>
>  I need to learn how in the world do find the root and power of an
> integer that x user entered? I haven been looking on the python
> website for an appropriate function but I have not.

The only function you need is pow()
Or you could do it without a function by using the ** operator.

You want to try various integer values and see if the result is the
users input.
That means you need a loop. The pwr value is set between 1 and 5 in the
assignment. The maximum root value will be the user's input (since X**1 = X,
and that will always be a valid solution!)

> Is there a book you guys recommend for total beginners who have no
> idea of what computer science and programming is?

Being biased, I'd recommend my web site(see below). You can get an older
version in a paper book if you must, and its mostly still applicable.
There is
also a good option by Allen Downey which focuses on the CS side of things
if that's what you want.

hth

--
Alan G