[Tutor] Basic question about docstrings

David Aldrich David.Aldrich at EMEA.NEC.COM
Thu Jul 30 18:28:33 CEST 2015

>>> Try:
>>>
>>>    help(get_value)
>>>
>>> At the Python prompt.  This uses the built in help facility:
>>>
>>> https://docs.python.org/2/library/functions.html#help
>>>

>> I understand that 'help' works with modules that I have imported. But if I've just written a script called main.py (which contains get_value()) I don't think I can 'import' that. So how would I see the docstrings in main.py?
>>
> Try it!  you'll find it works fine

So main.py contains:

def get_field(value, start_bit, end_bit):
    <snip>

and I see:

>>> import main
>>> help(get_field)
 Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
 NameError: name 'get_field' is not defined

help(main) works ok but is rather verbose.