[Tutor] Use python to parse the subject line of emails, listen for and react to commands

Danny Yoo dyoo at hashcollision.org
Mon Mar 2 20:07:15 CET 2015

> The code is not pretty and I have no doubt that there are thousands of ways for it to be hacked or messed up since there is little to no error checking in it. I don’t know enough to do so yet sorry I am doing the best I can and have only started learning python a week ago.

Yikes!  My apologies for my alarmed tone.

Panic is not a good way to get people to think clearly.  I may have to
rethink the way that I personally warn people away from eval().  The
way that I've been doing it now has bad side effects in terms of
sounding like personal criticism.  :(  That is, the technical content
story might be getting overshadowed by the personal criticism story if
I'm not careful.   I will think about this more.

As a brief comment about your program: execfile might be ok.  I
haven't taken a close look at your program yet.  If I have more time,
I'll take a closer look, and hopefully others on the mailing list can
also contribute.

Do make sure you get eyes to look at your program; getting security
right is hard, and I think it takes a village to learn how to program
well.

Good luck to you!