[Tutor] Idle - ImportError: No module named numpy

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 20:48:07 CET 2015

On 10 March 2015 at 13:59, Markos <markos at c2o.pro.br> wrote:
> I don't have the python3-pip in the repository, then I downloaded the
> get-pip.py from:
>
> https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py
>
> But when running the command "python3 get-pip.py" appears the error message
> (end of message).

Looks like a bug in pip or in the get-pip script. What version of
python3 are you using?

You'll just need to install setuptools and pip the old-fashioned way.

First check if you already have setuptools:

    $ python3
    Python 3.4.0 (default, Apr 11 2014, 13:05:11)
    [GCC 4.8.2] on linux
    >>> import setuptools
    >>> setuptools.__version__
    '3.3'

If not you can install it from here (download the .tar.gz file near
the bottom of the page):

    https://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools

Extract the .tar.gz file, cd into it and run

    $ sudo python3 setup.py install

Then do the same for pip from here:

    https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pip

Then you should be able to install things with

    $ python3 -m pip install <package_name>

where package_name would be e.g. numpy and you'll need to be root or use sudo.

> I found a message about a bug with pip at
> https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/1093
>
> Is it the same kind of error?

I don't think so.

> Any tip?

See above.

> And another doubt.
>
> Is there any risk of numpy module to be used by python3 to conflict with the
> numpy module that is already installed for python2.5 and python2.6?

No. As long as you install setuptools and pip with "python3 setup.py
install" and install numpy with "python3 -m pip install numpy" then
your Python 2.x installations will be unaffected.

Oscar