[Tutor] Open a Url in new tab and tab switching in IE using python and selenium

shweta kaushik coolshwetu at gmail.com
Tue May 5 10:08:59 CEST 2015

Hi All,

I am trying to open a new tab in IE10 and selenium 2.45. It is able to open
a new tab using pyrobot. But when i am trying to open url in new tab, it is
getting opened in first tab. Focus is not set to second tab and hence it is
not working and also switching of tab is not working. please provide
solution. I have provided my code below:
Code:

# Open first tab
IEDriverPath = "/../../../../../../../IEDriverServer.exe"
driver = webdriver.Ie(IEDriverPath, port=5555)
pyseldriver.get("https://www.google.com/")
time.sleep(5)
tab1 = pyseldriver.current_window_handle

#open another tab
obja = pyrobot.Robot()
obja.key_press(pyrobot.Keys.ctrl)
obja.key_press(pyrobot.Keys.t)
obja.key_release(pyrobot.Keys.ctrl)
obja.key_release(pyrobot.Keys.t)
time.sleep(FrameworkConstants.Time02)

pyseldriver.switch_to_window(pyseldriver.window_handles[-1])
tab2 = pyseldriver.current_window_handle
pyseldriver.get("https://www.python.org/")
time.sleep(5)

#Switching to first tab and opening new url
pyseldriver.switch_to_window(tab1)
pyseldriver.get("https://www.yahoo.com/")
time.sleep(10)

#switching to second tab and opening new url
pyseldriver.switch_to_window(tab2)
pyseldriver.get("https://www.gmail.com/")
time.sleep(10)

But links are not opening in new tab and switching is also not happening.
All links are getting opened in first tab itself.