[Tutor] Integrating TDD into my current project work-flows

WolfRage wolfrage8765 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 01:16:19 CEST 2015

On 05/05/2015 06:49 PM, Alan Gauld wrote:
<SNIP>
> Not better, just necessary. The two concepts are complementary.
> You need both. The developer primarily needs unit testing, the
> integrator*(who may of course be the developer in a different
> role) needs integration testing and the client/project manager
> needs system testing and acceptance testing. They are all part
> of a project (especially big/commercial projects)
So how low level of unit testing is acceptable. My use case is the sole
programmer on a team project. Their is potential for another programmer
to join the ranks but that has not happened yet. Additionally the
project is well under way. But Feature additions have slowed so I want
to make the code less buggy, and so I am hoping to re-factor my code
now. I think some unit tests could improve the end result of my
re-factoring, but where to start is the toughest problem for me to
solve. Especially given the time trade off that is at least initially
required for unit tests.
<SNIP>

> Don't underestimate the scale of testing. It is not unusual to
> have more test code than functional code! (although it is still
> the exception!) In real-world commercial projects testing (and
> the associated debugging) typically consumes about 25-40% of
> the total project budget. Baseline coding by contrast is only
> about 10-25%, sometimes much less.
I agree I have seen this sort of budget numbers in the government
project that I have been involved in. Especially once the project hits a
more general life cycle/maintenance mode.

So how can I make unit testing apply to my project without starting from
scratch? And how low should I test(ie. every function; every class;
every interface; system level)?
Thank you for any insight and all of your help.