[Tutor] ls *.py[co] >> .hidden

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu May 21 16:39:32 CEST 2015

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 12:55:13PM +0000, Albert-Jan Roskam via Tutor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to hide .pyc and .pyo files because they are visually
> distracting. Is the aforementioned command the best way? [1].

It isn't clear what you mean by "hide them".

If you mean that you want to use the ls command to get a directory
listing, but just not see the .pyc files, then all you need is:

ls *.py

which will list the .py files and nothing else.

You can remove the .pyc and .pyo files, or move them elsewhere:

rm *.py[co]

mv *.py[co] some/other/directory/

and let Python recreate them as needed.

If you're using a GUI file manager, there may be an option to hide
certain files. I know that KDE 3, at least, hides files starting with a
leading dot, and backup files ending with ~ so it's quite likely that
there's a way to hide .pyc and .pyo files. Check the documentation for
your GUI file manager.

The command you give:

ls *.py[co] >> .hidden

doesn't hide anything. It lists the .pyc and .pyo files, but rather than
printing to the terminal, it appends them to a file called .hidden in
the current directory.

Ah, wait, I see! Nautilus uses the .hidden file to suppress the display
of those files.

I wonder whether putting a single line:

.*py[co]

inside .hidden will work? You need to try it, or ask a Gnome expert.

--
Steve