[Tutor] League Secretary Application

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Sat May 30 19:17:39 CEST 2015

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Stephen Nelson-Smith
<sanelson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hullo,
>
> On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 3:49 PM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
>

>> 2.  How do you receive your data now?  Do you want to change this,
>>     perhaps extend the capabilities -- i.e. let people send an sms
>>     with results to your cell phone?  Or limit the capabilities ("Stop
>>     phoning me with this stuff!  Use the webpage!)  How you get your
>>     data is very relevant to the design.
>>

> I get a physical card, or a photograph of the same.  It'd be possible in
> the future to get people to use a website or a phone app, but for now, I
> enter the data from the cards, manually.
>

>> 3.  After you have performed your calculation and made a table, what
>>     do you do with it?  Email it to members?  Publish it in a
>>     weekly dead-tree newspaper?  Post it to a website?  What you
>>     want to do with it once you have it is also very relevant to the
>> design.
>>

> ATM I send an email out, and someone else takes that data and publishes it
> on a website.
>
> S.

Take a look at django.  The tutorial takes a couple of hours and gives
you a good feel for whether it would suit you.

You could say its overkill, but it makes it very easy to do CRUD stuff
with validation built in.  Displaying the results would be very easy
as well.  You could have your data providers input the data directly
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.8/intro/tutorial01/

--
Joel Goldstick
http://joelgoldstick.com