[Tutor] Newbie Question

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 11 18:27:33 EST 2015

On 11/11/15 20:12, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 11/11/2015 19:38, George Henry wrote:
>> How do I find a site to download Python for Windows that includes a
>> Toolbar?
>>

> So IDLE is not good enough for you?  I'll let you find it as it's part
> of the standard library, i.e. you've all ready downloaded it.

IDLE only has menus. I suspect that's what the OP is already using when
he refers to Python Shell.

Since he is on Windows he can use the Pythonwin IDE. This used to be the
default for ActiveState distros of Python but it seems they have dropped
it recently.

But you can still use it by going to the PyWin32 extensions (Install
them from Sourceforge first(*) if you have a regular Python.org distro)

Go to Lib/site-packages/pythonwin and find the pythonwin.exe file.
Pin it to your start menu and you now have an IDLE like(but better)
IDE with a toolbar.

(*)Installing from Sourceforge is non-trivial, read the Readme
file - linked to the download button - carefully then revist
the top level page and follow them. Once the installer completes
go to sitepackages as described above.

Alternatively research some of the other IDEs available such
as Eric (or even the Pydev extension to Eclipse if you already
have Eclipse installed.)

You will find YouTYube videos on using all of these - that might
be the easiet way to evaluate them before downloading.

HTH

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site