[Tutor] Updating index of a list

Anshu Kumar anshu.kumar726 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 03:59:44 CEST 2015

Hi Andrea,

You can use lambda or list comprehension to solve your problem in one step.

I am more comfortable with lambda so will explain that way.

Please follow below lines of code.

andreea_list = [['1', ' james', ' 1', ' 90'], ['2', ' alice', ' 1', '
95'], ['5', ' jorgen', ' 1', '99']]
andrea_float_list = map(lambda x:float(x[0]),andreea_list)
print andrea_float_list

map is function which takes two arguments first is an anonymous function
called lamda which operates on each of the list element one at a time and
the other is list it self. you can read about lambdas here
http://www.python-course.eu/lambda.php

Thanks ,
Anshu