[Tutor] changing a variable with raw_input

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 16 22:43:29 CEST 2015

On 16/09/2015 18:14, richard kappler wrote:
> Nevermind, figured it out. it needed to be delay = 0 and delay = 0.5, not ==
>
> regards, Richard the virus ridden
>
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 1:03 PM, richard kappler <richkappler at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Missing something obvious here, but down with the flu so I'm foggy and
>> just can't see it. I need to set a variable 'delay' to be used in
>> time.sleep(delay) later on in a script, based on user input. Something odd
>> is going on in setting the variable though.  Here's the snippet where I'm
>> trying to set the variable:
>>
>> #!/usr/bin/env python
>>
>> delay = 7
>>
>> print("1 - Batch")
>> print("2 - 2 per second")
>> print("3 - Real Time")
>> choice = raw_input("Enter feed speed choice (then press enter): ")
>> choice = int(choice)
>>
>> if choice == 1:
>>      print "running as batch"
>>      delay == 0
>>
>> elif choice == 2:
>>      print "feeding 2 events per second"
>>      delay == 0.5
>>
>> elif choice == 3:
>>      print "feeding real time"
>>      delay = 'real time'
>>
>> else:
>>      print "choice not available"
>>      os._exit(0)
>>
>> print 'delay = ' + str(delay)
>>

>> If I enter 1 or 2, I get delay = 7, if I enter 3, I get delay = real time.
>>
>> HUH???
>>
>> regards, Richard
>>
>> --
>>
>> All internal models of the world are approximate. ~ Sebastian Thrun

I suggest that you learn a little about debugging problems like this,
such as putting print statements into your code or actually stepping
through your code in a debugger.

Would you also be kind enough not to top post here, it can make things
very difficult to read in long threads, thanks.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence