[Tutor] Creating lists with 3 (later4) items occuring only once

marcus lütolf marcus.luetolf at bluewin.ch
Fri Sep 18 17:41:52 CEST 2015

dear pythonistas

in the code below

>>> import string, itertools
>>> s = ['ab','ac','bc','ad','ae','de']
>>> count = 0
>>> for startlist in itertools.combinations(s, 3):
>>>      count = count + 1
>>>      stl = list(startlist)
 >>>     print count, stl
>>>      for pair in s:
>>>          x = stl.count(pair)
>>>          print x, pair

the variable stl produces 20 lists. The variable x counts how many times the items of s occur in each of the 20 lists.
How can I concatenate the 20 lists in oder to get one count for each of the items in s , for example 10 for 'ab'?
My further task will be expand s to all 26 letters oft he alphabet (giving 325 items) and the to eliminate all list in which the items in s occur more than once.

Thank you for help, Marcus.

---