[Tutor] Help with python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 19 05:03:03 EDT 2016

On 19/04/16 02:20, Bereke via Tutor wrote:
> Hello there:
>
>   i am facing some problem with my python programming language which is
> already installed in My laptop lenovo, 8.1 OS.

I'm assuming that means Windows 8.1?

> The existing language says "python 27 ". when i click on it,
> it turns to "python or pythonw".

I don't know what you mean when you say "click on it".
Where are you clicking? The desktop? A menu? Windows explorer?
And where does it say python or pythonw?

> I can write on its dark surface, but it does not have tools like file, play, edit,...

It sounds like you are opening the Python interpreter in
a command console. It will be helpful for you to learn how
to use that console. There are several tutorials on the web
if you search for "Windows command line".

However, for now, you probably want to use IDLE which should
come with Python. (It is sometimes called Python GUI on
Windows too.)

You should find it under Python in your All Programs view.

Alternatively you can use Windows Explorer to search for
the idle.bat file. Once you find it you can create a
shortcut to your desktop or your start menu.
3
> what i need is, to be able to program on it,

You can program using notepad and the console that you have
but IDLE will be a better experience.

On my Windows 10 box IDLE lives in this folder:

C:\Python34\Lib\idlelib

It should be similar for Windows 8.1

--
Alan G