[Tutor] Book recommendation

Danny Yoo dyoo at hashcollision.org
Mon Aug 1 13:12:22 EDT 2016

> One area that is especially troublesome is knowledge of
> math. Programming is rooted in math and professional
> programmers will have studied math in depth but many
> amateur beginners may only have junior school math
> level. But how do you find out?
>
> It's a perennial problem when experts try to help novices...

[Meta discussion]

I think the recommendations from:

    https://www.recurse.com/manual#sec-environment

are reasonable.  Basically, we should keep in mind not to be jerks.  :P

Also, I think it's fair to say that some of us have some backgrounds
as teachers, and we remember the admonishments from John Holt's "How
Children Fail":

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Children_Fail