[Tutor] Problem with graphics.py

Michael Selik michael.selik at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 12:55:29 EDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 12:51 PM Cyrus Parvereshi <parvcy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi! I'm starting out with programming by self-studying python with a
> textbook used at my university. I came to a chapter that introduced object
> oriented programming with graphics tools like GraphWin and Point. However,
> even though I downloaded the author's graphics.py file from his website and
> put it in the same folder as the IDLE interpreter, Python command prompt,
> and every other python program, I still cannot use the module. Every single
> time I attempt to use a command like "import graphics" or "from graphics
> import * " it gives an error that there is no module called 'graphics.py.
>
> I would like to know how to fix this issue so that I can access the
> graphics module.

Do you mind running the following commands from the python shell?

py> import os
py> os.getcwd()
'/Users/mike'
py> sorted(os.listdir('.'))
['.Trash', 'Applications', 'Desktop', ...]

This will show us what location your python interpreter has as the "current
working directory" and whether or not the "graphics.py" file is present in
that directory.