[Tutor] How to interact with the result of subprocess.call()

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 26 08:57:02 EST 2016

On 25/12/16 16:33, Jim Byrnes wrote:

>> (*)LO remembers its last screen setting and opens with them,
>> if those screen settings are different than the ones you
>> programmed for then navigation will be different and so on.
>
> I don't think I need to "know where stuff is" to manipulate LO.

It depends on what you are doing. If you want to insert text
into a cell say you need to navigate to that cell.
In this respect a spreadsheet is much easier to work
with than, say, a word processor, but you still need
to be careful.

> some searching and found pykeyboard. Using it I was able to send Ctrl-A
> and then Ctrl-C to copy the page to the clipboard.

I've never used (or even heard of) pykeyboard but it sounds
like its doing most of the hard stuff for you. It may well
work with LO.

> easier than diving back into Uno.  However, using subprocess seems to be
> blocking me from sending any keystrokes to LO.

subprocess has nothing to do with the keystrokes part
but you may need to run it in the background or somesuch
to get the keystrokes stuff working in parallel.

> subprocess well enough to know if it is actually blocking my keystrokes.

No it's not blocking your keystrokes but it may well
be blocking your process.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site