[Tutor] Python 3.5.1 64 bit?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 5 18:50:09 EST 2016

On 05/01/16 19:47, yehudak . wrote:
> I'm using version 3.5 of Python and want to upgrade.

3.5 is the latest stream. If you are already using it why
do you want to upgrade? Its easy to get caught up in a frenzy
of chasing the latest dot release but unless there is a
specific bug fix or feature you need there is rarely any
good reason. Personally I haven't got around to moving
from 3.4 yet and on my Windows  7 PC I'm still on v3.3.

> The download site
> doesn't mention whether it's 32 or 64 bytes. Any info if 64 bytes is
> available?

I'm pretty sure there will be a 64bit version on there.
Assuming you are using Windows I seee one labelled

Windows x86-64 executable installer

That looks like 64 bit to me.

The one that says

Windows x86 executable installer

is the 32 bit version.

> Also, when I upgrade, does the newer version over-ride the old one or I
> have first to remove the older version?

They generally leave the old version around - you may have
a need for both (for example to test your codes compatibility
with both versions).

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site