[Tutor] method, type?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 6 19:24:34 EST 2016

On 06/01/16 18:57, Alan Gauld wrote:

>> The solution is to use constructors with different names, which C++
>> calls "named constructors".
>
> I stopped using C++ around v2 and it didn't have such a feature.
> Maybe its been added since. If so that's good to know. (Time
> for some googling methinks...)

OK, I Googled. It seems named constructors is just an
idiom not an actual language feature. Pity :-(

And the idiom consists of two things:
1) Providing public class (static) factory methods
2) Making the actual constructor(s) protected

This has a similar feel to named constructors and is
identical to how you would do it in Python (except
for the protected bit) or Java. It's not a true
constructor function it's just a factory (which calls
the true constructors).

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site