[Tutor] Teaching Python

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Jan 6 19:43:18 EST 2016

On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 07:04:24PM +0000, Alan Gauld wrote:
> On 06/01/16 18:23, yehudak . wrote:
> > My grandson Guy (8th grader) is learning Python at school. That's what made
> > me teach myself Python programming as well.
> > Yesterday he asked my help in his homework:
> >
> > Write a FOR-loop that prints all numbers up to 1000000
>
> And the question is?

I don't think that Yehudak had a question, I think he is just sharing
his experiences.

(I think Yehudak is a male name, apologies in advance if I got that
wrong.)

> Python has a for loop and a print function.
> It can easily handle numbers up to 1000000.
> You probably need to look at the range() function too.
>
> If you are having difficulty with any of those concepts
> let us know and ideally show us the code that fails.

I'm guessing that Yehudak is griping about how slow it is and how much
pointless output it generates. I agree: on my computer, just looping
from 1 to a million takes 0.2 seconds, but printing out the numbers not
only generates a million lines of output, but takes 100 times longer: 20
seconds.

--
Steve