[Tutor] basic threading question

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 7 19:23:16 EST 2016

On 07/01/16 19:26, richard kappler wrote:

> The brief version, I am reading and parsing a data stream through a socket,
> several actually. Each new connection spawns a thread that reads and
> parses. Should the client close, I want the thread to terminate.

Just another thought. Have you looked at asyncore yet? It seems
ideally suited to your usecase and avoids all the threading
problems (or more accurately lets Python deal with it invisibly)

I mentioned it right at the start of your project but haven't
brought it up again. Now seems like a good time. It's a bit
like Node.JS for Python. It allows you to add jobs to an
asynchronous event loop which then processes those events
in the background (using a thread pool I believe). It looks
like a good match to your use case.

The docs provide several examples and there are several
tutorials online.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site