[Tutor] idle??

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 8 19:50:45 EST 2016

On 09/01/16 00:11, bruce wrote:

> So, as an IDE/shell.. I assume it's not quite Eclipse, butallows you
> to do reasonable editing/snyax tracking/etc.. as well as run apps
> within the window/shell.. I assume breakpoints as well, and a good
> chunk of the rest of the usual IDE functions...

Exactly.

> What about function completion? Where I type a function.. and it
> displays a "list" of potential function/defs ?

Yes.

> Does it provide "function" or item hoovering. where cursor
> can be placed of a function/item and
> information about the func, or item
> (type/struct/etc..) is displayed?

I don't think so but there is a primitive class browser.

Also idleX has something called a code context that shows
things like the method definition within its class.

To be honest I don't use IDLE that much any more and if I do
its idleX. Mostly I just use vim and a command shell and
for debugging winpdb (in the rare cases where print and
the >>> prompt are insufficient.)

The other important thing is that it is all written in
Python, and Tkinter as the GUI, so its a good source of
sample code.

But the easiest thing is just install the package and
have a play! :-)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site