[Tutor] Message Passing & User Interfaces

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Jan 17 17:42:09 EST 2016

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 12:06:38PM -0500, wolfrage8765 at gmail.com wrote:

> I realize this is a higher level question; so please direct me as
> appropriate. I can not seem to find a good standard that is in
> practical use for controlling user interfaces via a message passing.
> Does any one have any links to such an example? I would be most
> grateful. Thank you.

Perhaps you would be interested in LiveCode:

http://livecode.com/

which uses such a system. It is not Python, but it is a complete IDE
(Integrated Development Environment) based on Apple's Hypercard from the
1990s, only considerably updated. The programming model is based on
message passing to and from graphical elements of the user interface,
for example buttons receive messages when you click on them, you write a
handler for those messages you want to deal with, and send messages to
other components.

I'm not aware of anything even remotely similar for Python. PythonCard
came close, but I don't think it is still maintained.

--
Steve