[Tutor] Quote and double quotes opens up File Explorer in Windows 10

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 13:02:12 EDT 2016

On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Ken G. <beachkidken at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi: In gradually moving over my Python programs (2.7.6) to Windows 10 and
> using Geany 1.27 to modify or write up a program there, it is noted that
> whenever I typed in a quote (') or double quote ("), Windows 10 File
> Explorer opens up. I end up closing it by typing ALT-F4 to resume typing as
> before. Is there a way to prevent the File Explorer from opening up whenever
> I use a quote or double quote? Is there another key(s) that does weird thing
> in Windows 10? Thanks.

The single/double quote key isn't a standard hotkey in any version of
Windows. That would be insane. If this is just happening in Geany,
check its keybindings preferences. Otherwise, check that you're using
the right keyboard layout and that you don't have any programs (or
malware) that's registering a global hotkey.

For example, here's a simple script that registers the single quote
(US keyboard layout) as a global hotkey to open the desktop in
Explorer:

    #! /usr/bin/python3
    import os
    import ctypes
    from ctypes import wintypes

    user32 = ctypes.WinDLL('user32')

    WM_HOTKEY = 0x0312
    MOD_NOREPEAT = 0x4000
    VK_OEM_7 = 0xDE # US layout, single/double quote

    hotkey_id = 1
    if user32.RegisterHotKey(None, hotkey_id, MOD_NOREPEAT, VK_OEM_7):
        print('Hotkey "\'" registered.')
        msg = wintypes.MSG()
        count = 0
        while (count < 3 and
               user32.GetMessageW(ctypes.byref(msg), None, 0, 0)):
            if msg.message == WM_HOTKEY and msg.wParam == hotkey_id:
                count += 1
                print('Hotkey received.')
                os.startfile('shell:Desktop')