[Tutor] 10+ Different Python Script?

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Wed Jul 13 09:02:58 EDT 2016

> On Jul 13, 2016, at 8:03 AM, Crusier <crusier at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> I am currently using:
> Python 3.5
> Window 7
>

> I have a python script which is used for downloading Real Time Stocks.
> Currently, there is over a 1000 stocks in the Portfolio.
>
> If I download the market info during market hours, it would take over
> 40 minutes to finish downloading all the market info. Since I am

Do you know where this (seeming) throughput limitation is _actually_ occurring?
I don’t know what format you are getting the data in, but if each stock is represented by it’s 1-4 character symbol, followed by a current quote (perhaps both bid and asked), then this adds up to around a dozen characters.  Lets be generous and say 20 bytes.  Twenty bytes times 1000 stocks is 20 kB.  Even a “slow” connection these days should give you a 2 Mbs throughput or 200 kBs (including overhead), so your 20 kB of data should download in roughly one tenth of a second.

> trading stock real time, I am thinking of breaking it down into 100
> stocks per group, so I could make the download time shorter. For the
> market info, I will put into database and for data analysis.

In other words, don’t waste time solving the wrong problem.