[Tutor] wiped file

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 14 11:13:59 EDT 2016

On 14/07/16 05:06, Noah Stickel wrote:
> i open a python file in IDLE (python 3.5.1) and then my computer froze
> after displaying an error 40 message (i have a DELL PC) and when i
> restarted it i discovered that the file had been completely wiped clean. So
> i still have the file but there is nothing in it. is there anyway i can
> restore the contents of this python file?

If you stored the file on the cloud (Dropbox, Google drive etc)
you may be able to recover old versions. If you run Linux you
may have a journalling file-system that can recover previous
versions.

Alternatively you may have committed the file to a version
control system? In that case simply check out the old version.

And of course if you regularly backup your disks then your
backup programme can probably retrieve the last saved version.

If none of the above applies then now you know why they should! :-(

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site