[Tutor] Python ODBC driver for Oracle 9

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 18:40:24 EDT 2016

On 13/06/16 11:47, Joseph John wrote:
> I am trying to connect Python to Oracle 9 DB, checked for python ODBC
> driver for oracle.

Please be clear. Are you looking for an ODBC driver that will
work with Oracle 9?

Or are you looking for a Python DBAPI driver for Oracle 9?

Those are two different things.

> What I need is driver for Pyhton to get connected to Oracle 9.

You can do it directly or via ODBC. For an old version of Oracle it
might be easier to find an ODBC driver - that should have come from
Oracle with the database. The current Python ODBC driver should then
work with the Oracle ODBC driver.

Finding a native Python DB driver for Oracle 9 might be harder
although I'd expect one to still be available somewhere.

A Google search threw this up as the first link:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/Oracle

And it claims to work with Oracle versions 8 to 11i.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site