[Tutor] turtle on linux

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 24 08:10:22 EDT 2016

On 24/06/16 09:02, Hershel Millman wrote:
> I tried to import Tkinter and I got this message:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ImportError: No module named Tkinter
>

> And since I am running Linux, you may be under the false impression that I
> know what I am doing when it comes to using Linux. I have no idea what you
> mean by "package manager", so if you could enlighten me, that would be
> immensely appreciated.

Every distribution of Linux comes with a package manager which is the
tool used to load new applications. Like the App Store on an ipad.
On most Linux versions Tkinter comes seperately from Python so you
have to install both. For example on my Ubuntu based sysatem I use
Synaptic as my package manager and within that I can find packages:

python
python-tk
python3
python3-tk

The first two are for v2.7, the second two are python v3

My guess is that the turtle module gets installed as part of
the python-tk package so if you find that in your package
manager you should be able to install it and turtle will
then work.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site