[Tutor] OT: Recommendations for a Linux distribution to dual-boot with Win7-64 bit

Wolfgang Maier wolfgang.maier at biologie.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Jun 28 19:28:32 EDT 2016

On 29.06.2016 01:16, boB Stepp wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 10:48 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> What about running Win7 in a virtual machine?
>
> What type of performance hit will I take when running CPU intensive
> processes?  I don't yet have any real experiences with running virtual
> machines.  If this is acceptable, I am willing to forget the dual-boot
> idea and just jump in the deep end with Linux.  The only thing I would
> hate is reinstalling Win7 into the virtual environment and the endless
> sequence of updating ...

Of course, there is a performance hit when using a virtual machine.
After all, you have a running Windows or Linux, whichever way round you
do things, from which you start it.
How much that matters, depends strongly on what you want to do though.
After all, you could do performance-critical stuff in your real OS
instead of inside the VW.
I still like dual-boot better for home use. If you have multiple users
or even just guests they might not all be used to having to start a VM
to use Windows.