[Tutor] OT: Recommendations for a Linux distribution to dual-boot with Win7-64 bit

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 21:16:11 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 12:09 AM, Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org> wrote:
> On 29/06/16 23:58, boB Stepp wrote:
>
>> One point I just discovered for those new to this and Linux:  tkinter
>> does *not* come pre-installed with the Python distributions; it will
>> have to be installed separately.
>
> Yes, but it's just another package in the package manager. python-tk
> Select it and hit Install.

I just now checked on IDLE, found it was not installed, and typed in
the terminal:

sudo apt-get install idle3

The interesting part is since IDLE needs tkinter, it installed that
dependency as well.  As far as I can tell after typing "help(tkinter)"
in the Python interpreter, it looks like *all* of tkinter got
installed.  Is this in fact true?

--
boB