[Tutor] Help with an error

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 5 19:31:03 EST 2016

On 05/03/16 19:36, Saad Mabror wrote:

> i've installed python 2.7 on my laptop (running windows 7 )

> i started receveing syntax error  dialogues on IDLE  even
> if i'm writing just one simple line such as ( print "hello world") .

The most likely reason is that you have somehow installed Python v3 and
are trying to run code for v2 in v3.
What does the IDLE shell window say when it starts?

Look at the message that looks like:

Python 2.7.6 (default, Jun 22 2015, 17:58:13)
[GCC 4.8.2] on linux2

Is it v2.7 or 3.x?

If that's not the problem can you cut 'n paste a full transcript
of your code and the error message?

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site