[Tutor] Changing the interpreter prompt symbol from ">>>" to ???

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 15 17:40:56 EDT 2016

On 15/03/16 19:51, Albert-Jan Roskam wrote:

> So windows uses the following (Western locales):
> console: cp437 (OEM codepage)
> "bytes": cp1252 (ANSI codepage)
> unicode: utf-16-le (is 'mbcs' equivalent to utf-16-*?)
>

> Sheesh, so much room for errors. Why not everything utf-8, like in linux?
> Is cmd.exe that impopular that Microsoft does not replace it with something better?

It's replaced by Powershell.
It's just that not many people use Powershell.
Familiarity beats superiority.

Whether Powershell actually handles display of text any better is
another question. I don;t know the answer to that and am too lazy
to fire up my Windows box to find out! :-(

> in saying that the use of codepages (with stupid differences such as latin-1 vs cp1252 as a bonus)
> are designed to hamper cross-platform compatibility (and force people to stick with windows)?

I think that's probably being unfair on Microsoft.
It is mainly just historical I think.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site