[Tutor] install python without root access

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 22 19:11:55 EDT 2016

On 22/03/16 05:52, Anshu Kumar wrote:

> I have a Centos06 based machine and I don't have root access. The default
> Python (GCC compiler based) is quite old 2.7.5 , so I need to update it.

My first pint would be that 2.7.5 is not that old. Unless you have
a very specific feature that you need in 2.7.11 you probably don't
need to bother upgrading it.

The "Whats New" file is here and covers everything back to 2.7.5.

https://hg.python.org/cpython/raw-file/53d30ab403f1/Misc/NEWS

> I am facing deep troubles installing

Assuming you do need to install it can you use an rpm package
(ISTR CentOS uses rpm format?)

There are several listed here:

https://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=python

> 1. as i try to run ./configure i face configure: error: no acceptable C
> compiler found in $PATH. I tried to install gcc but its installation also
> require some c compiler which is not seem to be present. I can't even do
> yum install gcc without root access.

That seems odd. I've never used CentOS but I can't think why they
wouldn't allow gcc to install for a normal user. Most Linux distros come
with gcc already there.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site