[Tutor] Best tool for programming interactive games in Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 29 19:26:25 EDT 2016

On 29/03/16 22:17, Oscar Benjamin wrote:

> On 29 Mar 2016 22:20, "Alan Gauld" <alan.gauld at btinternet.com
> <mailto:alan.gauld at btinternet.com>> wrote:
>
> > investigate. And of course there is OpenGL which plays very
> > well with MacOSX.
>
> OpenGL plays nicely with Windows and Linux as well.

But not so well as MacOS X because the OS itself (or the GUI part) is
written in/for OpenGL. So in addition to raw OpenGL you also get to
mix n' match the OSX graphics libraries. You can't do that as easily
in X or Windows is an add-on library, not a native part of the OS.

But I agree raw OpenGL would be too low level for most games
development (unless you really want high performance, but then
you probably wouldn't use python...). But if you wanted high
performance within the context of a single window then OpenGL
might be worth exploring.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site