[Tutor] Best tool for programming interactive games in Python

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 15:27:04 EDT 2016

On 30 March 2016 at 00:26, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 29/03/16 22:17, Oscar Benjamin wrote:
>>
>> On 29 Mar 2016 22:20, "Alan Gauld" <alan.gauld at btinternet.com
>> <mailto:alan.gauld at btinternet.com>> wrote:
>>
>> > investigate. And of course there is OpenGL which plays very
>> > well with MacOSX.
>>
>> OpenGL plays nicely with Windows and Linux as well.
>>

> But not so well as MacOS X because the OS itself (or the GUI part) is
> written in/for OpenGL. So in addition to raw OpenGL you also get to
> mix n' match the OSX graphics libraries. You can't do that as easily
> in X or Windows is an add-on library, not a native part of the OS.

That's interesting. I've used OpenGL on Windows and Linux but not on
OSX so I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Modern Linux desktops
(Unity, Gnome3, KDE4, etc.) use OpenGL-based compositing just like OSX
does and I'm fairly sure Android does as well. Does it just work out
better on OSX?

I know that work is under way to replace X itself with Wayland and
reimplement the core toolkits (Gtk, Qt, etc) on top of Wayland with
OpenGL as the core and without the vagaries of the X protocol and
without needing the DRI2 extension. Perhaps that would lead to the
sort of situation that there is on OSX...

--
Oscar