[Tutor] META: Moderation and subscription to the tutor list

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 1 05:36:33 EDT 2016

On 01/05/16 07:23, boB Stepp wrote:

> I am in agreement with this as well.  I have often wondered if
> newcomers are subscribed or not

Most are. Several who are not, subscribe very soon
after - presumably in response to the intro message.

>  as after subscription one receives a
> very helpful email which addresses most of the common post formatting
> issues that we seem to endlessly rehash.  Or perhaps I am one of the
> few who actually read it upon subscribing?

Probably most don't read it (all). But many simply are not
technically savvy enough to know how to post in plain text,
or avoid top posting etc. There are foreign concepts to many
of the modern generation of internet users.

> I wonder no matter which way the current matter gets decided, if it
> might be time to rewrite the automated response email.

I'm open to suggestions on this. It has gradually grown over
the years as new caveats get added. A rewrite is something
that is within our remit and abilities without involving
the list admins.

> mentioned.  It probably should be added.  I feel that the interleaved
> writing style employed by many lists is completely foreign to
> newcomers to programming.

Absolutely. In fact even some programmers have never come
across it because it's not how most web forums (fora?) work.
And business email is now almost universally on Outlook/Exchange
and top posting is the norm.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site